Sunday, November 7, 2010

Writer's Block

Help! I am having writer's block! Are you? I've been having Writer's Block for a long time, but at last I over came it! Now, I am going to tell you how to conquer this block.

The first thing I realized was the fact that I only get writer's block when I think too hard about an idea. When I do this, I end up frustrated and wiped out even when my page is still blank! The key to fix this is not to think! Some of my best ideas came when I am not even writing. Once, when I was watching T.V. I came up with a craft! In school, my friends are my inspirations for characters. As I talk to them, I can come up with a story spark about what they say, do and/or look like. Some of my favorite characters were inspired by my friends! This happened when I wasn't even thinking about a story or poem. It happened when I was just living my life! So, don't push yourself hard. Great ideas come when you least expect it.

The second thing I learned was to be observant. Once, I was on my way to my dance class when the shape of the trees gave me and idea. To me, trees and clouds give me lots of thoughts. For you it could be anything! Buildings, nature, animals, toys, utensils, people, clothes, etc. The possibilities are endless! But, don't expect ideas to come just by looking one glimpse of something. You have to imagine. Look at it in so many different perspectives. At one point, you'll feel a spark inside of you, and you will want to immediately dig it up and make it bigger, and eventually into a masterpiece. Being observant is a writer's greatest asset. If you are observant, you can come up with outstanding ideas.

The third and last thing I learned, was to be open to new experiences and ideas. Last night, I went out and ate sushi for the first time. I didn't really like it, but I bet it will make a great story. Honestly, I can tend to be picky, but when I am not, I become a better writer. If you don't like something, why not try it again. Why not learn about it again. This is probably the hardest step, but in the end, it is the most rewarding. In life, you can't be afraid or nervous about anything, you got to jump in and try. Nothing is wrong with trying. You may end up liking it, or finding a new passion, or dreaming something you never have before. So, just forget the what IFs. Just jump in and learn. The experiences you get from this will become great pieces. Trust me.

This is really all I can tell you, it is your choice to try it. But, I guarantee, these three tips, will definitely pay off. Hope this helps with your Writer's Block!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

WOW! This post is great and really inspiring! Thanks for all you help in every one of your blog posts. In fact, you are like a blog mentor or master for me. You really help me with my blog. Thanks, Aparna. You're AWESOME!