Monday, April 5, 2010

JFK Gravesite/Arlington Cemetery

As you already would have found out I'm telling you about all of the places I went to in DC. Another thing I saw was Arlington National Cemetery and The Kennedy family grave site there. I also saw the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier where I witnessed the Changing of the Guard. I'm going to go one by one here. First, I saw the Kennedy grave site. The grave was very beautiful. There were 4 black platforms. 2 large ones were John Fitzgerald Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. The 2 smaller ones were I believe his their son and daughter. Those platforms were surrounded with stones and an eternal flame was lit. Next, I saw the Tomb of the Unknown Solider. It was a tomb of 3 soldiers no one knew. They were unknown. One of the soldiers was in the Vietnam War. Another one was in the World War I, and the last one was in World War II. You might want to check it out because I'm not sure about the wars they were in. But, on the side of the tomb the words
"Here Rests in Honored Glory An American Solider Known But To God" are inscribed. This tomb is to be guarded 24/7, 365 days a year. The tomb guards go through a ceremony called the Changing of the Guard before they begin to guard the tomb. I saw this ceremony. It was so precise, and perfect. The guards had such dedication, such patriotism, it was beautiful. I highly recommend seeing this, next time you go to DC.

No comments: